The precision and expertise of a licensed professional architect is critical in renovation and design. With numerous years of training and industry experience, an architect can bring relevance and contemporary style and design to construction plans, as well as an understanding of spatial relations and human needs.
Advantages of an Architect
From designing blueprints for the layout of your construction to visiting the actual site to determine sunlight angles, existing landscapes, and potential caveats for building, an architect’s involvement can serve as a much needed cohesion for the DIY-er, educating the homeowner in potentially unforeseen variables.
Through detailed interaction with a client, architects can help identify the needs and desires of the homeowner, mapping out a detailed plan that enables the construction process to be completed according to specification. An architect can also serve as an agent, offering specific recommendations for products, evaluating bids, and helping you to chose the best contractor for your individual plan. Architects are particularly valuable in ensuring that your plans meet industry specs and regulations.
Choosing An Architect
Recommendations from respected individuals are a great way to begin finding the right architect. Several consultations may be in order to determine whether or not that person is the right one for your project. Listed below are several factors when considering an architect:
- Style: is it similar to your own visions?
- Compatibility: does the architect have a clear and defined idea of what you are trying to accomplish?
- Budget and time expectations: are you able to reach an equitable understanding of cost and involvement?
- Solid background: did the architect provide you with references, photos, slideshows, and information about his or her firm?
- Communication: how available will your architect be to thoroughly discuss any issues that may arise?
Once a selection has been made, it is best to have everything drawn up in a contractual agreement. Your ideas, expectations, time frame, and budget should all be written down beforehand to ensure that all specifications are met as agreed upon. It is important to keep in mind that you get what you pay for when it comes to design and renovation, and hiring an architect is a solid investment into a greater satisfied outcome.